FacebookInstagramTwitterContact

 

12-Year Old Kids Selected To Represent Brunei Darussalam At Football For Friendship Programme In Russia           >>           Fenerbahce Game Abandoned After Fans Throw Objects At Besiktas Coach           >>           Arsenal's Arsene Wenger: Patrick Vieira Could Succeed Me One Day           >>           Final Of English Language Debating Competition           >>           Mukim Bokok Consultative Council 6th Annual General Meeting           >>           Lalla Meryem Cup: Nicole Garcia Holds Two-Shot Lead On Day One           >>           Ettore Messina To Coach Spurs In Game 3 Vs. Warriors           >>           Lance Armstrong To Pay $5M To Settle U.S. Government Fraud Lawsuit           >>           Photography Exhibition           >>           Administrative Assistant And Secretarial Convention Closing Ceremony           >>          

 

SHARE THIS ARTICLE




REACH US


GENERAL INQUIRY

admin@brudirect.com

 

ADVERTISING

marketing@brudirect.com

 

PRESS RELEASE

pr@brudirect.com

 

HOTLINE

+673 222-0178 [Office Hour]

+673 223-6740 [Fax]

 



Upcoming Events





Prayer Times


The prayer times for Brunei-Muara and Temburong districts. For Tutong add 1 minute and for Belait add 3 minutes.


Imsak

: 04:43AM

Subuh

: 04:53AM

Syuruk

: 06:12AM

Doha

: 06:35AM

Zohor

: 12:20PM

Asar

: 03:32PM

Maghrib

: 06:27PM

Isyak

: 07:37PM

 



The Business Directory


 

 



Middleeast


  Home > Middleeast


Syria War: Wounded 'To Be Evacuated From Eastern Ghouta' – Rebels


The UN says more than 1,000 critically ill and wounded people need to be evacuated

 


 March 13th, 2018  |  09:30 AM  |   612 views

SYRIA

 

The largest rebel group in Syria's besieged Eastern Ghouta region says it has agreed with the government's key ally Russia to evacuate wounded people.

 

Jaysh al-Islam said the evacuations would take place in stages, but it did not say when they would begin.

 

There was no confirmation from Russia, but the UN said there had been talks.

 

More than 1,100 civilians have been killed and 4,000 wounded since the government stepped up its offensive on the Eastern Ghouta on 18 February.

 

Soldiers and allied militiamen have recaptured 60% of the enclave, which is just outside Damascus, the Syrian capital, and split it into three separate pockets in recent days.

 

The government's advances have displaced thousands of families, triggering what the opposition-run council in the major town of Douma called a "catastrophic" humanitarian situation.

 

It said existing basement bomb shelters were so overcrowded that some families were being forced to sleep out in the open, and that at least 70 people had been buried in a park because air strikes made it unsafe to reach the town's cemetery.

 

Meanwhile, the US said it had drafted a new UN Security Council resolution demanding a 30-day nationwide cessation of hostilities, accusing Russia of failing to ensure a ceasefire resolution passed two weeks ago was implemented.

 

Briefing the Security Council on Monday afternoon, UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres said fighting had continued across Syria despite the resolution, even intensifying in the Eastern Ghouta and claiming hundreds of civilian lives.

 

"No sieges have been lifted," he said. "To our knowledge, not one critically sick or wounded person has yet been evacuated."

 

Mr Guterres said the UN had offered to facilitate talks between the Syrian government, Russian officials and representatives of the three main rebel groups in the Eastern Ghouta - Jaysh al-Islam, Faylaq al-Rahman and Ahrar al-Sham.

 

Last week, as pro-government forces advanced steadily towards urban centres in the heart of the Eastern Ghouta, there were two meetings between Russian officials and Jaysh al-Islam on the outskirts of the enclave observed by the UN.

 

Mr Guterres said progress was made, including an agreement that saw the evacuation of a number of members of Hayat Tahrir al-Sham, an al-Qaeda-linked jihadist alliance that was previously known as al-Nusra Front.

 

On Saturday, Russia informed the UN that a unilateral ceasefire would begin in the northern pocket around Douma, which is controlled by Jaysh al-Islam.

 

There were further talks on Sunday and Monday, after which Jaysh al-Islam announced that "an agreement was reached with the Russian side through the United Nations for a humanitarian medical evacuation of the wounded for treatment outside of Eastern Ghouta".

 

The UN says more than 1,000 critically ill and wounded people, most of them women and children, are in urgent need of medical evacuation from the Eastern Ghouta. Seventy-seven are considered "priority cases".

 

Mr Guterres also expressed concern at the continued shelling of government-controlled districts of Damascus by rebels based in the Eastern Ghouta, which he said had caused dozens of deaths and injuries since 18 February.

 

Police told the official Sana news agency that two civilians had been killed by rebel shellfire on Monday.

 

The Syrian army meanwhile announced that it had regained control of a village and farms on the outskirts of the town of Jisreen - in the southern pocket controlled by Faylaq al-Rahman - as part of the operation to stop the shelling and eradicate al-Nusra Front "and its affiliated groups" in the Eastern Ghouta.

 


 

Source:
courtesy of BBC NEWS

by BBC NEWS

 

If you have any stories or news that you would like to share with the global online community, please feel free to share it with us by contacting us directly at pr@brudirect.com

 

Related News


Hotel Guests Dry Clothes At Road Divider In KK

 2018-04-20 10:11:24

Five Ways China's Past Has Shaped Its Present

 2018-04-20 09:16:38

$30 Billion Philippine Stock Rout Gets Domestic Bulls Buying

 2018-04-20 10:09:30